Call to Action Dangers: 7 critical mistakes that will hurt your conversion rates
In Session #24, Flint McGlaughlin conducts a telling analysis of an experiment with two call-to-action treatments. In the process, you’ll learn seven dangers that can hurt your conversion.
Here are some of the most important insights from this class:
- The goal of the CTA is to initiate and complete the exchange of value.
- Beware of allowing the word “free” to signal the meaning “cheap.”
- Strip away vague phrases.
- Emphasize the customer’s gain FIRST.
- Justify difficult asks with powerful (customer-centric) reasons.
You can watch the full video above, or jump ahead to these key takeaways:
- 0:00 Call to Action Dangers: 7 critical mistakes that will hurt your conversion rates.
- 0:27 What text will work best for these buttons?
- 0:45 Which button will produce the highest conversion?
- 2:57 Is FREE a positive word?
- 7:49 CTA dangers checklist.
To get immediate help with your marketing challenges, just contact Flint and his team: F.McGlaughlin@MECLABS.com.
Essential Course Resource
The Marketer As Philosopher – Reflection #27
“…We determine this sum, not with complicated math, but with elementary (and mostly intuitive) arithmetic: we subtract perceived cost from perceived value. If the result is negative, then we have a messaging problem.”Learn more about the book
Course Retention Exercise
This quiz is carefully designed based on the latest learning technology in order to help you improve retention of the key principles.
Previous Lesson / Next Lesson Coming Soon
Session Quiz Summary
0 of 5 Questions completed
You have already completed the session quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Session Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the session quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
#1. Do not start with a word that implies _______.CorrectIncorrect
#2. Eschew ________ word combinations.CorrectIncorrect
#3. Use your _______ to calibrate valueCorrectIncorrect
#4. The goal of the CTA is to initiate and complete the ________ of value.CorrectIncorrect
#5. Beware of allowing the word “free” to signal the meaning _________.CorrectIncorrect